Re: ATA booting problems & solutions

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:08:37PM -0800, Benjamin Kite wrote:
> :::: Prior to now, Ethan Benson wrote :::::::
> ::
>
> I'm convinced that quik succeeded in putting the bootblock on /dev/hdb2,
> (or at least I'm going to pretend to be for now) so I'm going about trying
> to boot from that partition.
>
> Problem 1:	"ofpath" doesn't work on my system

whenever you do this get booted, could you send me a tarball of
/proc/device-tree ? with this i can add support to ofpath.

cd /proc
tar -zcvpf /tmp/devtree.tar.gz device-tree

will do it, then mail my /tmp/devtree.tar.gz

> Problem 2:	The hdb thing worries me because I know the thing is
> 		set to be master but it's not coming up as hda.

that is a bit wierd..

> Barring those,
>
> I know that "ata/ATA-Disk" is a valid OF device because I can look
> at its properties. Also, it says it "can't LOAD from" the device,
> which leads me to think it's finding a partition, but can't grok
> something...

you might try setting load-base to 600000

rememeber that is oldworld only don't do that on a newworld! (for the
benifit of maillist archives)

> 	is /dev/hdb2	==	ata/ATA-Disk@0:0

partition 0 represents the whole disk, supposedly OF will look for a
partition marked bootable when told to boot partition 0.  (i know this
works on at least the 7200)

> 	is /dev/hdb2	==	ata/ATA-Disk@0:1

no it would be ata/ATA-Disk@0:2

the last number is the partition number.

yes.  assuming the ata/ATA-Disk@0 part is right.

> Maybe I need those patches...

i am not sure if there are any patches for this machine, apple would
be content to see the clones all ground into dust and spread across the
pacific ocean.

> Maybe I should just go try to find a MacOS disk...

check the netbsd FAQ first, here:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-bugs

--
Ethan Benson