Re: Crash! kernel 2.4.2 jumps to mon

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:32:46PM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:

> Well, considering that the HFS code hasn't been actively maintained since the
> 2.0 days as far as I can tell, it's no surprise it isn't completely stable. In
> fact, I took a look at the code, and it just doesn't look right. I haven't
> really pinned it down, but it looks like someone went through and "got it to work"
> in 2.4 and didn't have the time to do a better job of it. I seem to recall that
> happening in the 2.2 kernel as well. The dcache stuff in HFS is all added after
> the fact, and isn't really part of the design as far as I can tell. It really
> needs an almost complete rewrite, but I doubt anyone has the time. I know I
> don't.

 The Darwin kernel includes HFS and HFS+ support.  I assume the interface to
the rest of the kernel is too different to port it easily, and the license
Apple has it under wouldn't allow it to become part of the official kernel.
However, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to distribute source for a
kernel module based on the darwin HFS code.  That would be "good enough" for
a lot of people, since the source stays open if you do that.  You don't have
freedom to do stuff with it, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for
a driver for a specialized filesystem.  Still, Free would be better.  I
don't remember how bad the apple license is, but they don't require your
house and first-born child or anything :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y