mozilla 0.8 rpm from penguinppc.com

I tried installing the mozilla 0.8 rpm from penguinppc.com, using
alien.  It installed fine, and I can run mozilla from the command line,
which creates a .mozilla subdirectory in my home directory and spawns four
/usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin processes, but no window is actually ever
displayed on the screen.

The terminal window from which mozilla is launched displays:

Registering plugin 0 for: "*","All types",".*"
Registering plugin 0 for: "*","All types",".*"

and no further messages...

I'm running Debian testing (although not updated to most current)

Any suggestions on what to try next?