Re: modem not working

On  13 Feb, this message from Claus echoed through cyberspace:
>  >: However, when booting, my kernel shows two lines like:
>  >: tty00 at 0x3013020 (irq=15) is a 28530 ESCC, port = modem
>  >: tty01 at 0x3013000 (irq=16) is a 28530 ESCC, port = printer
>  >:
>  >: But when I look in /dev/, there are no tty00 and tty01. So why this kernel
>  >: message? And, how can I create those when needed?
>  >:
>
> calm down ;)
>
> they are there
> 23:17@pts/0 ~ > ll /dev/ttyS*
>    0 crw-rw----    1 root     dip        4,  64 Feb 13 23:14 /dev/ttyS0
>    0 crw-rw----    1 root     dip        4,  65 Jul 20  2000 /dev/ttyS1

Yep, simple naming inconsistency. There was a patch for this floating
around some time ago (it might even have been submitted to sourceforge).
But like so many useful patches, it went into the wind...

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |