Re: X Windows Front-end for dselect and apt

Quoting Andrei Verovski <andrei.verovski@parks.lv>:

> Hi,
>

> Is there GUI X Windows Front-end for dselect and apt?
>
> So far I found gnome-apt which is still unfinished. Really want X11 for
> dselect/apt, which right now use character based interface.

Red Carpet from Ximian should be released pretty soon, and I think will make a
nice apt/dselect front-end.
Drool over the shots here:
http://www.ximian.com/apps/redcarpet.php3

Synaptic from Alfredo Kojima, the creator of Window Maker, also is an
apt/dselect front end. The only problem is that there are too much packages in
Debian, and it makes it crash (due to an XWindow limitation). This is getting
fixed.
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/192/

And as far as gnome-apt is concerned, Havoc Pennington working for RH, I doubt
that he will finish it himself. I know that somebody came to him asking for
maintainership, but no code's shown up so far...

Cheers

/Bastien Nocera, waiting for RC
http://hadess.net