Re: boot-floppy-hfs.img

   > I want a physical rescue floppy.  (I am relucant to depend on my
   > Iomega Zip drive, as they appear to provide MacOS-only software for
   > it.  My CD drive is read-only, and somewhat unreliable.)
   >=20
   > Under Disk Copy (version 6.3.3), boot-floppy-hfs.img does yield a
   > virtual floppy disk, which Apple's Finder says has `2.6 MB on disk
   > (2,801,704 bytes) for 11 items'.   Yet it is supposedly a 1.4 MB disk.
   > What gives?

   did you double click the image file?  if so you likely ruined it, disc
   copy will mount the image read-write then MacOS will probably see the
   `macos' on it is fake and remove the boot blocks. =20

   here is a howto on making a boot floppy from image in macos i wrote
   some time ago:

   ---begin---
   > after a earlier message i did some testing of dd floppy images and
   > Apple's disk copy 6.3.3, a friend of mine claimed it would make
   > floppies from dd images with no special effort, i however had to
   > fsck
   > with it to get it to work... but it DOES work:
   >
   > you must set the file type and creator of the dd image to type:
   > `DDim'
   > Creator: ddsk
   >
   > then LOCK THE FILE, do this before you even attempt to touch it with
   > Disk copy, it will loop back mount the image read-write at the drop
   > of
   > a hat, and if it does that MacOS will of course helpfully remove the
   > boot blocks ruining the floppy image.
   >
   > run Disk Copy, and select `Make Floppy' from the Utilities menu,
   > select the LOCKED image file from the resulting dialog.  it will ask
   > you to insert a floppy, then ask if you really want to erase
   > it. (yup were using macos alright...) it should sit there for awhile
   > working on it and when done it should eject the floppy.
   >
   > when the floppy is ejected SET THE WRITE PROTECT TAB!  otherwise if
   > you accidently mount it in macos, macos will `helpfully' ruin it.
   >
   > Dan:  add the following line to your maps file for mkhybrid when
   > creating CD images:
   >
   > .img        Raw     'ddsk'    'DDim'   "floppy_image"
   >
   > this will cause the image files on the CD to show up with the
   > correct
   > file type/creator in macos.
   >
   > for people downloading from ftp you will have to use resedit or
   > something to change the file types (or try configuring `internet
   > config' to set files with the .img extension to the above
   > type/creator, but that probably won't work)
   >
   > unless i set these file types Disk copy kept whining about an error
   > -54 (iirc that means resource fork not found.  i hate HFS...)
   ---end---

<snip>

   Ethan Benson
   http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

Thanks, Ethan.  That solved the problem with the weird disk size.  Now
I notice that the version of miBoot in the BootX distribution _does_
have the right MacOS type and creator, and it looks as though this got
broken when putting it into Debian.  (That is, the mkboot.sh file in
powerpc-specials/miBoot would be improved with conditional code to fix
the type and creator in case we are on pmac.)  It now does seem that
the boot blocks are not a big deal here, as my new floppy seems to be
acting the same as the one I made before by just copying the files.

---
John