Making a bootable CDROM for an RS/6000 PReP machine

Hi,  I have an RS/6000 860 portable.  I have debian ppc installed on
it.  The Debian PPC CD image was bootable for me, but the kernel wasnt
correct and would bomb out.  I tried to roll my own bootable CD with
mkisofs, as a rockridge extensions, and a kernel image that works from
floppy, as and El torito bootable CD.  This cd is not bootable although
mountable as ISO-9660.  I was looking for some insight as to the format of
the Debian PPC cd image and how it is bootable on my PReP machine, so
I can make my own.  I am
currently sans floppy drive and would like to be able to test and compile
kernels properly and the PReP boot isnt like LILO ;( ...  Any help would
be great.  Ill have a floppy drive soon, but CD booting is much faster!

Thanks,
Asher