Re: popularity-contest

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 00:37, Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
Hello Michael,

You wrote at
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2020-July/041089.html>

> We are planning to remove the “popularity-contest” package from the
> standard seed, meaning that new installs will not include it. This package
> is intended to report (anonymously) the most installed packages on Ubuntu
> systems to the Ubuntu developers. It turns out the package and backend have
> both been broken since 18.04 LTS without being much missed so we have
> decided to remove the package from the default install and discard the
> Ubuntu delta for the package.

As the maintainer of popcon.debian.org and given the number fo
popcon.ubuntu.com submitters, I am concerned of the impact for
popcon.debian.org of removing the delta.

Right, that's fair.

Current popcon.ubuntu.com submitters must not be migrated automatically to
popcon.debian.org.

Agreed.

First this would be a breach of privacy for
popcon.ubuntu.com submitters and secondly this would likely flood the
popcon.debian.org server with more submissions than it can handle.

Ubuntu users voluntarily installing the popcon.debian.org client is
likely to be OK in term of traffic and does not breach privacy.

Agreed.

However the popcon.debian.org client being installed as a side effect
of 'apt-get upgrade' is not.

Agreed.

This issue already occured with popcon 1.56ubuntu1 that mistakenly
reported to Debian. We do not want this to happen again.

Neither do we! We had actually discussed this internally already and should have mentioned this in the announcement! Sorry about that.

Cheers,
mwh