Goals of debian/copyright

I think we're getting bogged down in the debian/copyright discussion,
and I'm starting to think that some enumeration of what we need
debian/copyright for would help us figure out what it should actually
contain.

I've listed the things that I remember from the relevant threads (and
my personal recollection):

1) DFSG Free licensing of all parts distributed by Debian in main

2) License compatibility (both intra-work and inter-work)

3) Satisfy licence requirements in binary .debs

4) Copyright and licensing status of Debian packaging

5) Kudos/courtesy to authors acknowledging their work

6) Documentation for users about usability of packages in non-free
(IE, non-commercial, non-modifiable, etc.)

If I've missed anything, please tack it in here.

Once we reach some consensus with what the copyright file should
enable us to do, we can start talking about what (if anything) needs
to change regarding the status quo of the copyright file (and possibly
even come to some consensus as to what the status quo actually is.)

Don Armstrong

--
UF: What's your favorite coffee blend?
PD: Dark Crude with heavy water. You are understandink? "If geiger