Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Fri, Mar 20 2009, Mike O'Connor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:58:14AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> The real problem here is that FTP masters require the list of copyright
>> holders to be up-to-date each time the package goes through NEW.
>>
>> Whatever justification exists for this requirement, I???m starting to find
>> it unacceptable. If a package has to go through NEW, it takes about
>> twice as much time to update this list than to do the actual packaging
>> work.
>>
>> Why is this list needed?
>
> Often the license requires it.  For instance the BSD license says,
> "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright".
>
> To me, it seems like since one has to go through all of the source files
> anyway, creating a list of copyright holders while you are doing it is a
> trivial task.  I don't see why making this list takes any time at all
> really.  Unless you are not actually looking at the code you upload,
> which would worry me for other reasons as well.

        I think it means what is says. The *ABOVE* copyright notice must
 be reproduced. That does not mean you have to hunt down every person
 with a Signed-Off-By header in the log, or every person who made an
 more than 10 line (non-trivial) patch submission to the project (and
 yes, most of these people also hold copyright -- how are you gonna find
 out all such names?)

        So, I just reproduce that copyright notice in the binary
 package, which is all that one is required to do. I might also add
 other obvious contributor names, if the appear in other files in the
 package, but this is mostly the first time I package stuff.  I might
 miss names added or new files in a new version, though I try.

        Frankly, at this point, I am not seeing a need to track down or
 verify the completeness of my list of copyright holders, since it is
 almost impossible to do so, or very time consuming, and I see limited
 returns for time invested.

        manoj
--
He who takes nothing in the world that has not been given him, long or
short, big or small, attractive or that is what I call a brahmin. 409