Re: Policy delegation

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:34:49 +1000, Anthony Towns
<aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:27:47PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Given that there is no delegated power to change the technical
>> policy, I can only see that the technical policy may be changed by
>> a GR, or by the technical committee. 6. Technical committee

> I think you're mistaken, and that policy maintenance comes under the
> usual powers of the individual developers maintaining policy, namely
> section 3.1 ("make any technical or nontechnical decision with
> regard to their own work"). But you're the secretary, so on
> constitutional interpretation your word's final.

        Well, if it had not been for the fact that the constitution
 calls out the technical policy manuals specifically, and explicitly
 gives powers of changing the technical policy manuals to the tech
 ctte:

,----
| 6. Technical committee
|   6.1. Powers
|    The Technical Committee may:
|     1. Decide on any matter of technical policy.
|        This includes the contents of the technical policy manuals,
`----

        Also, the developers powers state:
,----
| 3. Individual Developers
|   3.1. Powers
|    An individual Developer may
|     1. make any technical or nontechnical decision with regard to their
|        own work;
`----

        Note that changing the technical policy manual is not making
 technical decisions regarding their own work.

>> So the policy editors have no right to upload any new manual,
>> unless the constitutional issues are clarified by the project.

> As per that interpretation, I've added a REJECT for uploads of
> debian-policy. I won't be looking into formally creating a new
> delegation 'til after etch has released, at which point I hope we
> can find at least four people who'll be active in maintaining policy
> according to the policy process we've had for quite some time.

        This presupposes that you have either managed to change the
 constitution, or replaced the secretary with one whose views are in
 line with yours -- since under current wording of the constitution,
 that would be unconstitutional.

>> Since it would be unfair of any one who has write permissions to
>> the policy

> All developers have the ability to upload new versions of policy (or
> at least did, prior to the REJECT).

>> Or, perhaps, the tech ctte can directly take over the policy
>> manual, as provided for by the constitution.

> Maintenance of the policy manual is designed to be a lightweight
> task that doesn't require significant creative or editorial
> judgement (that being exercised in the drafting and discussion of
> proposed changes prior to the actual inclusion), that doesn't seem
> entirely out of the question should policy need updating prior to
> etch's release.

        manoj
--
Work Rule: Men employees will be given off each week for courting
purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.