Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:50:37PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 02:48:34PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 04:28:36AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > > Date: [...] Talk to the dpkg maintainers--
> > > they're free to implement this feature if they want.  It's not a
> > > matter for policy.
>
> > I agree it is not a matter for policy. However [...]
> > it is common to do dch -i, do some minor
> > clean up, wait a month, make a change and upload the package without
> > remembering to update the changelog date.
>
> Anyone who makes a change and doesn't put it in the changelog should
> be chastised. But I agree, it does happen, and there may even be cases

Sure but adding entries to the changelog does not magically update the
date.

> where it's justified (i.e. do some work, wait a month, update
> standards-version, then upload).  So then, the proper people to talk
> to are the maintainers of the upload processing software, katie, or
> whatever.  But frankly, I'm still not convinced that the moment of
> upload is a datum of particular interest to most people.  If you just
> want to know if the package is "active", the changelog is the best
> place to look.

Sometimes, the changelog will tell you the package was last changed 3
month ago while actually it was changed yesterday and build and uploaded
today. This can lead you to go on a wild-goose chase if you do not know
about the problem.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>