Directoryfulls of configuration files

Utilities such as devfsd, run-parts and update-modules need to
ignore backup files when processing all the files in their
configuration directories.  It would be good if there were
consistency among these utilities in the filename patterns
ignored.  I suggest that we adopt the standard that such
filenames consist only of lower case letters, numerals,
underscores, hyphens and plus signs.  (That is, a legal package
name, but no dots allowed.)

Currently update-modules ignores only .dpkg-* and *~ in the
/etc/modutils directory.  Devfsd ignores files with names
matching these patters, plus "CVS".  run-parts allows any
filename containing only "letters, digits, underscores, and
hyphens".  My suggestion is stricter than most of these.

Were we to implement this, we would have to go through a
phase where any non-compliant configuration file names were
changed.  Then the utilities could be modified to bring
them into compliance.

Or is this a bad idea?
--
Thomas Hood