Re: Summary of KDE filesystem discussion

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 16:19, Jarno Elonen wrote:
>  * Many people feel that KDE (and Gnome) is too large
>    a whole to be stuffed in /usr/bin, /usr/share etc
>    and would deserve a separate directory like X
>
>  * Some proposed using /opt/kde3. Arguments:

I strongly, strongly object to this.  The whole point of the Debian Way
is integration, and consistency.  There's nothing special about KDE or
GNOME in this regard.

I should be able to install a package, and it should Just Work.  I
shouldn't have to frob my $PATH to run binaries.  I shouldn't have to do
stuff like give special arguments to "configure" scripts so they find
the development headers for a package.  #include <bar.h>, or #include
<package/subsystem.h> should Just Work.

Program authors should take care to ensure that if it's important,
multiple versions can be installed seamlessly side-by-side, like gcc and
gcc-3.0.  If it's not possible, then we (Debian) will have to pick a
version to distribute in each release.