Re: Could lintian...?

mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Marcelo_E=2E_Magall=F3n?)  wrote on 08.04.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980408181523.27288A-100000@jacinta>:

> Could lintian check for files installed outside standard directories
> (those the FHS specifies). I accidentally made a .deb file that installed
> files in /home/mmagallo/blah/blas/debian/tmp/usr/X11R6/bin/. I realized
> this after running lintian on the package and then installing it.

Oh yes, and also check for all the packages installing stuff into
/var/packagename, for example. Except for specific case, that's not
allowed!

Oh, and one other thing. I just noticed a bug in one of my packages
resulting in a file (or was it a directory?) containing a shell wildcard.
At the very least, any strange character in filenames should get a
warning. Very few of those are actually intentional.

I'd say anything outside [-a-zA-Z0-9._+:] is suspect. grep tells me that
less than 0.1% of the filenames in my /var/lib/dpkg/*.list use any other
characters.

MfG Kai