Re: Suggestion to and how to alow different compression for .debs

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 12:35:43AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > The control.tar.gz stays that way for the moment, but the data.tar.gz
> > might be any format the maintainer seems fit.
> > The control.tar.gz then contains a file called "how_to_unpack" that
> > will be used to unpack the data file. Normaly it would be a shell
> > script that just contains a call to "tar -xz", but "tar -xI" or
> > anything else would be allowed.
>
> This doesn't match how dpkg actually works --- internally it handles the
> untaring itself, and pipes that to gzip -dc. Piping it to bzip2 -dc based
> on the file extension (data.tar.bz2) would be a reasonably convenient
> change, I imagine; changing how it untar's may not be. YMMV, of course.

Why not pipe it through "uncompress.sh" as and if present in the
control.tar.gz?

I don´t care about the tar, everybody will use it anyway to compress
something. But even if not, one can always tar and then compress even
if not needed.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin