Re: persistence of /usr/doc/$pkg (Was: debhelper: /usr/doc problems again)

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Some cases prompting is benefitial, if it allows the system to
>  be more responsive to the users needs. All prompting is not bad. In
>  this case, unknown files in a directory which needs to go away has to
>  be handled. One can't just remove the files (they may be useful to
>  the local install), and one should not allow the system to silently
>  decay into a non conformant state.

If root places a file in some directory, dpkg does not remove the directory
or the file. This means there is cruft left lying areound, where the
sysadmin put it. I wouldn't characterize this as decaying, and if root put
the file there, the non-conformance is root's fault.

--
see shy jo