Re: SSH never free

Joseph Carter wrote:
> I think the author's license is the only reasonable measure of use
> restrictions.  Outside the US I'm free to use LZW, RSA, mp3, etc to my
> heart's content.  Inside the US all crypto should be considered non-free
> by the above definition because the US crypto controls are essentially to
> prevent US citizens from having access to it without directly banning it.
> And they'd like to ban it if they could.

The problem is, I don't know if it's legally safe to ignore use
restrictions when distributing.  I also think that packages which are
known to have encumbrances should be marked in some way, because we
make a number of promises about what people can do with stuff in main.

> > To support this: As an excercise, try writing any program that you can
> > *prove* does not infringe on any patents.
>
> hello world maybe?

Prove it :-)

> > > I propose that the above language be changed to:
> > >
> > >       `Non-free' contains packages which are not compliant with the DFSG.
> >
> > This will put all GIF-creating packages in main.  Is that what we want?
>
> non-US/main actually, given the scope of the LZW patent.  I have no
> problems with this at all and if I didn't second the proposal yet (I'm
> pretty sure I did but it's been a long week and it's only Monday) I'm
> doing so now.  =>

But currently, all of non-US/main is free for use and distribution inside
the US.  Putting GIF-creating packages in there would change that.

I think we need some kind of map of which packages should go where,
and what kinds of subdistributions we want.

Richard Braakman