Re: More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 12:29:28PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> > When slink's epic4 had a DoS in the ANSI color parser the fix was "install
> > potato's epic4"---but that couldn't be expected to work given potato is
> > glibc2.1 could it?  In fact it wouldn't, so I rebuilt it on master.
>
> I just did a test. Installed a new stable system, informed apt about
> unstable and asked it to upgrade epic4. It's less than a 6 mb download, with
> only 7 packages affected. What you're saying just doesn't match reality.

Okay, what did upgrading to glibc2.1 without installing all the other
packages that Espy had to NMU alongside it to insure nothing broke?  That
as an aside because glibc2.1 should have been libc7 IMO since it does in
fact cause these breaks.

You've made your point about partial upgradability as you were
understanding it and I can agree with the need to make that possible.  My
definition of "partial upgrade" was in error---based partially on an email
from iwj some time ago in which he had issues with installing a package
from unstable on a stable box wanted up upgrade 2/3 of the system.  His
email kinda stuck with me and I associated from then on a partial upgrade
with installing a few packages without installing most of the release in
question in the process.  I stand(sit) corrected on this issue.

"All we have to fear is fear itself!"
"And almost but not quite free software..."
"That too."
"And binary only kernel drivers."
"Okay, yeah, that too."
"And..."