Re: Confusion about Libtool archive (*.la) files in -dev' packages

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 04:00:45PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>         http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/37/37338.html
>
>         I am currently working on editing in the policy amendments,
>  and I find this amendment quite confusing. Could the rpincipals
>  involved in this clarify exactly where the .la files are supposed to
>  go? Are they meant for the -dev packages, or the main ones (there was
>  a comment about needing the .la files at run time)? Could someone
>  also provide a rationale for this? I am not quite upto speed with
>  libtool (having never used it -- I program cross platform for non-GNU
>  systems ;-()), and I would prefer if I could have the exact wording
>  people want to be included in the policy manual.

I'm not qualified to recommend anything unfortunately.  From my limited
understanding, including the .la files in the -dev package makes sense if
only for dependencies among static libraries.  I did note that libtool
appeared to claim that .la files could be useful for non-development use of
the library, specifically explicit loading and linking; however my gut
reaction is "that's not necessary on sane systems like Debian!".

You should include libtool maintainer Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>
in the conversation.  He's a bit stubborn (as you probably recall), but
always seems to present strong arguments.  (You can tell him I said that--we
just got into an argument over bug tracking.)  At least he'll be able to
verify the accuracy of your proposed policy addition.

Andrew