Re: removing links from main to contrib|non-free (was: weekly policy summary)

On Jun 19, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Maybe we can do this: IF the user adds a non-free source to apt's
> sources.list, then and ONLY then should any free software installed
> or available reveal a suggestion or recommendation of non-free or
> contrib software. Should it become revealed, it would then take
> effect. Were this done, I think it would satisfy both camps
> here. Packages could keep their package relation declarations, and
> the package managers (dpkg, dselect, apt and whatever else) can be
> modified to show or hide undesired relations.

To do this, we'd need multiple new fields (Recommends-Contrib;
Recommends-Non-Free; Suggests-Contrib; Suggests-Non-Free) or a
separate database listing what packages are non-free/contrib so dpkg
can properly ignore them.  This gains nothing over the "Enhances"
proposal that was bandied about months ago.

"Enhances" also has advantages for DFSG-free software that's provided
outside of the archive, like the slink GNOME packages and the non-US
packages (even the DFSG-free ones).  It also allows the addition of
suggestions without bothering the original package maintainer (i.e. my
new package, Foo, can enhance Bar, so Bar's maintainer doesn't have to
upload a new Bar with "Suggests: Foo").

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence       |  You have a computer.  Do you have Linux?   |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>  |    http://www.linux-m68k.org/index.html     |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.   |       Do you want your bank to snoop?       |
|  University of Mississippi  |      http://www.defendyourprivacy.com/      |