Re: /usr/local stuff [Was Editor and sensible-editor]

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 12:33:21AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> Interesting points.  However I would suggest that most of the files in
> /etc are about local configurations, and are, in general, not
> shareable.  In fact, the FHS defines /etc as being for non-shareable,
> static data.  But what should be done for shareable configuration
> data?  Debian uses /etc as the primary place for configuration files,
> be they shareable or not.  So maybe we should create an /etc/share
> directory as you suggest.  And maybe even an /etc/local directory
> corresponsing to /usr/local?
>
> Maybe I'll bring this up on the FHS list.

FWIW, /usr/local does not exist under the FHS.  However it was
traditional to use /usr/local/etc for the purpose.

/opt should have much the same layout as /usr does now--that is /opt/bin,
/opt/sbin, et al.  I'd have to look again for some idea as to whether or
not there is an /opt/share or if there's a /usr/share/opt or similar.

What I don't see is a good place to put potentially changing sharable
data.  This applies specifically a package of mine, dfm.  It puts all its
data in one directory (/usr/share/dfm by default with --prefix=/usr) and
in it is a file which does much the same as mime types do.  This file as
shipped probably on most Debian systems needs some modification.
Actually I'd like the author to consider an implementation of what's
essentially file as a library that spits out mime types instead of
traditional informative output it provides now..  =>  But that's another
discussion and project.  =>

I asked about this on irc and was told that a conffile in /usr/share
would send lintian into fits---and probably rightly so!  I ended up with
a symlink into /etc for now, but I'd like a cleaner solution (short of
writing a libfilemime.so hopefully)

<dark> Knghtbrd: We have lots of whatevers.
<Knghtbrd> dark - In Debian?  Hell yeah we do!