Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy

Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> When I started to use Debian, I wondered why the menu sections
> were different categories than the packages sections.
>
> If the menu sections are so great, why don't we use them to sort
> packages?

Because they were designed for menus. It's really a very different thing.
With menus, you have some constraints:

* You need to put commonly accessed menus as close to the root as possible.
  That's why the XShells menu is right on the root, because we know people
  start more xterms than anything else.
* You need to limit menus to no more than 15 items, 10 is better. Otherwise
  they won't fit on some screens.
* One package can install menus items in any number of different menus. Look
  at bsdgames.

--
see shy jo