Re: Debian GNU [was: smarter way to differ architectures needed?]

 BM> If I have got this right:

 BM> So instead of of having *releases* for each combination of

 BM> You could have a *package* depend on any number of factors (as
 BM> determined important), eg
 BM> <kernel>,<cpu>,<glibcversion>,<gnomeversion>

 BM> Therefore, grub would only depend on <cpu>, but a gnome package
 BM> might depend on all of the above.

Exactly.

 BM> Just a comment: In the source code for each dependancy (eg CPU)
 BM> you would have a specification, ie something like:

 BM> - the source code MUST be recompiled. eg for another CPU.
 BM> - the source code does not have to be recompiled, but still
 BM> should work. eg for another library that has the same ABI.
 BM> - the source code is incompatable with this dependancy. eg for
 BM> kernel specific code.

 BM> I am not sure what the best way would be to specify this
 BM> information, I am just saying that I think this information would
 BM> be required.

Here is a possible way of specifying the information:

Anything that has a `|' in its dependencies means that there is more
than one kind of binary package, so, say the binary packages were
different depending on the kernel you had installed:

Depends: linux|hurd

If they were different also depending on the architecture, you would
say:

Depends: linux|hurd, hwarch-i386|hwarch-m68k

which would leave room for 4 different binary packages.

If the package also requires an editor, but it doesn't matter what
kind, then it would simply say:

Depends: linux|hurd, hwarch-i386|hwarch-m68k, editor

which still leaves room for only 4 different binary packages.

 >> Why should all ports have to release at the same time?  Why should
 >> we not allow different ports to depend on different versions of
 >> the same package?

 BM> So, you want to get rid of hamm,slink,potato,etc? How would you
 BM> keep track of stable vs unstable?

I have utterly no idea.  First let's change the dpkg technology.  The
archive organization should come later.

Until there is a more elegant solution, we can just have dinstall map
certain dependencies into certain locations:

binary-i386: linux, hwarch-i386
binary-m68k: linux, hwarch-m68k
binary-alpha: linux, hwarch-alpha
binary-sparc: linux, hwarch-sparc
binary-arm: linux, hwarch-arm
binary-hurd-i386: hurd, hwarch-i386
binary-linux-all: linux
binary-hurd-all: hurd
binary-all: [default]

It would be nice to change dinstall so that we can create new distros
on the fly, but I think that's asking too much for an initial
proposal.

Seconders?

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)