Re: Intent to package: debian-keyring

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> The Policy Group was begun about the same time as the QA group, and
> testing, among others. Outside of Ian's original writing of the
> Programmer's guide et al, the current policy documents were created by
> this Policy Group.

Memory is failing you here, Dale.

The policy manual was first written by Ian in summer 96.  The QA group
only got formed with the release of bo.

I completely agree with Manoj here.  The policy manual and package
conformance is one of the main reasons that the distribution is as
good as it is.

For developer's to treat policy as a mere guideline destroy its
strength, simply because chaos would ensue as each developer followed
different, perhaps reasonable, policies.

As I just wrote the policy manual should be rewritten so it uses
standard RFC vocabulary.  Until then, we should assume all policy is
"must", a requirement.  Any exceptions should be well documented in
the package and brought up here so the policy document can be changed.

Guy