Re: language for changelog

gn Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 10:52:11PM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> I second Joey's request that changelog files should be written in
> English--even if the package is useful for other languages too.
>
> (Just consider a Debian system where lots of different peoples have
> accounts--like master.debian.org. AFAIK, none of our admins know Chinese,
> but perhaps a few users want those Chinese support packages. If the admin
> is carefully, he'll check the changelog files before upgrading the
> packages...)
>
> BTW, the same should apply to copyright files: I just noticed that the
> copyright file of the selfhtml package (a german online book about HTML)
> is written in German only. I'd consider this as a bug, but before I file a
> bug report I wanted to discuss this here.
>
> In summary, I'd propose the following policy:
>
>   ``The Debian changelog and the copyright files of a package must be
>   written in English. If the original license is written in a non-English
>   language, that original version must be included in the package as well,
>   together with a translation into English.''

As also mentioned by somebody else, all general information should need
to be held in english.  If there are versions in other languages, too,
that's fine.  Its just that the majority speaks/reads english and only
a vast minority is able to read that specific other language.

I do understand that there are people not speaking english.  It should
be ok if they provide their information in their native language as
long as somebody translats it when packaging the software up so others
are able to read its docu.

Regards,

	Joey

 /              Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop /
/ http://home.pages.de/~joey/           or in front of a mirror /