Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> wrote:
>      There are a nuamber of sub-threads in this thread using the same
> header.  My posting was written before I saw the one that discussed
> open bugs.  The "problem" that I was referring to was the disagreement
> between those who felt policy should be a binding document, and those
> who think policy may be ignored when it is inconvenient.

Oh.  oops.

sorry about that.

I think the issue you're talking about is related to our general
structure: we're a group of volunteers, and we need to work on a "best
effort" basis.

Which is to say, if there's some part of the policy that you can't
figure out how to comply with without breaking something, do your best
and then we'll look at converging with policy.

Note that before a package gets put on the archive, the archive
maintainer gets a chance to do some basic checking, and may reject it
with a specific complaint. So maybe you'd like to think of this as your
policy enforcement mechanism. [But the bug reporting system is a part,
too, as is the policy creation people, and everything else.]

Anyways, when you talk about making policy binding, you really need talk
about making practice binding, too.

[And current practice is, basically: policy is the most coherent
document describing how we do things.  Policy doesn't need "power",
it needs to be correct.]

--
Raul