Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 12:22:25AM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >
> > The reason why I object to the `multi-maintainer' idea is my experience
> > with software development: I haven't seen a _working_ example of a
> > software program yet, which had multiple _release integrators_ (that's
> > what I think the `Maintainer:'s job is) at the same time. If someone would
> > show me a good example for this, maybe I'd change my mind.
> >
> > The Lintian package has the following Maintainer field:
> >
> >   Maintainer: Christian Schwarz <lintian-maint@debian.org>
> >
> > This makes it very clear that the package is maintained by a single person
> > (me), but the email address is a mail aliases for Richard and myself. This
> > has the advantage, that bug reports are sent to both of us--and most users
> > use this address for sending us feedback. I'd propose that other
> > `multi-maintainer' packages use the same format for the Maintainer field
> > (e.g., dpkg and boot-floppies).
>
> For boot-floppies it is:
>
>    Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org>
>
> Many people work in the code and I usually do the uploads, altough there
> have been "non-release-integrator-uploads" when the need have arisen.
> So, what are the differences between the "multi-maintainer" packages
> being discussed (boot-floppies and dpkg have been cited as examples)
> and the "lintian-type"?

I'm sorry, looks like I've judged your package without checking out the
details before.  With what you've said, there is no different in the style
of maintenance between boot-floppies and lintian--both follow the style
I'd propose for Debian-native packages which have several `authors':

Several people contribute code, but there is one `responsible' (or call
it: person of contact) who has his name in the Maintainer: field. The
email address can be a mail alias for several people.

(In the `multi-maintainer' situation, several peoples would be listed in
the Maintainer field.)

I apologize for the mistake.

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/