Re: conffiles versus configuration files

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

[snip]
> Secondly, Christian: can you merge this text or something with
> identical meaning into the manual and also check references in the
> manual to configuration files and conffiles and make sure that the
> right term is used in each case ?  Someone recently posted a list of
> places where they thought the wrong term had been used and I followed
> up arguing with only one of them.  For the record, I agreed with the
> others.

I agreed, too :)

Note, that when we last discussed this topic I finally came up with some
definitions of the terms `conffile' and `configuration file' that everyone
agreed with. Fixing the manuals in this respect is already on my policy
TO-DO list and I'll do so soon. (I'll post the new definitions of these
terms here for approval first.)

I'll report to debian-policy as soon as I had time to dig into this issue
again and as I've prepared the necessary changes/fixes.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/