Re: Documentation as Software (was Re: PerlDL license)

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> wrote:
>     Christian> Yes. Note, that this is just my interpretation of
>     Christian> current policy, and I'm no lawyer. However, no lawyer
>     Christian> has shown up yet to prove I'm wrong... :-)
>
> I'm not sure that interpretation is valid.  Documenation is written
> text, not software, and the copyright requirements & protections are
> much clearer under both common law & statutes. IANAL though.

     Note the copyright on /usr/doc/debian-policy/fsstnd/fsstnd-1.2.txt.gz:

: The following restrictions apply to reproducing or transmitting the
: document in any form:
:
:    o All copies or portions thereof must identify the document's title
:      and section, and must be accompanied by this entire notice in a
:      prominent location.
:
:    o No portion of this document may be redistributed in any modified or
:      abridged form without the prior approval of the FSSTND coordinator.

     Similarly the copyright for the RFC documents allows:

: 1.  Copying and distributing the whole RFC without any changes:

     A standard would become meaningless if anyone were allowed to
modify and circulate it freely.  These copyrights are clearly
appropriate for documents of this type.

     I suggest that policy clearly state that standards may be
incorporated in the Debian distribution with copyrights that do not
conform to the DFSG, or that a section be added to the DFSG permitting
standards to prohibit modification.

Bob
--
   _