Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

From: James Troup <jjtroup@comp.brad.ac.uk>
Date: 12 Apr 1998 22:17:30 +0100

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes [supercite undone]:

> Hi,

> > Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
> >> 4. A unique point of communication. In case of questions WRT a
> >> packages' `interface', it's much easier for other maintainers to
> >> get an `authoritative' answer if you have one person to contact.
>
> > You continually bring up this hideously bogus argument.
>
> 	I would find it easier to believe this argument is specious if
>  there were at least one positive example.

This is about a point of communication, and I've provided at least 3
examples where communication is improved because there is not one
primary maintainer who is the point of communication.

> > What's the difference between maintaining a package and
> > processing new maintainer requests when it comes to the
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > benefits and problems of multiple maintainers?
>
> I find there is a modicum of design and innovation required for my
> packages. I do not believe in the cookie cutter approach to software
> packaging. Therein lies the difference.

How is that relevant to the benefits and problems of multiple
maintainers?

> > It comes down to this: there are currently two packages in the
> > distribution which are maintainer by multiple maintainers: dpkg
> > and boot-floppies.  There will soon be a third (debian-keyring).
> > You were and are wrong about boot-floppies (IMO), and *no one* has
> > even begun to prove that dpkg's is in the state it's in because it
> > has multiple maintainers.  Yes, dpkg's maintenance
> > \begin{litotes}isn't great\end{litotes} but you are scape-goating
> > multiple maintainers by blaming it on that.  Please show me some
> > evidence that had dpkg continued to be maintained by Ian alone, it
> > would be in better shape now than it currently is.
>
> 	Please show me on working multi-maintainer package.

boot-floppies.  And I think debian-keyring will be to.

> Having the only multi-maintiner package being in an untenable
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[Some facts would be nice.]

> state is a black mark.

Only if the multi-maintainerness of it has anything to do with it's
state.  Otherwise you're scape-goating multi-maintainership.

Also are we ready to ban multi-maintainerness on the state of one
package?  Ignoring where it works, ignoring the complexities and
nature of the package involved?

> Though there is no proof that they are in state because of having
> multiple maintainers, multiple maintainer packages do have a bad
                                                   ^
[Or maybe some consistency]

> track record.

But by your own admission there is no proof of a link.

> Maintianing a keyring or inducting new maintainers is not the same
> as maintaing a package or writing software.

I didn't for a minute claim it was.

> >> does not mean that only one person works on a package! It only
> >> means, that there is a unique person who coordinates all changes.

> >> bat bamus batis bant.
> >>
> >> In which case we could define a `Backup-Maintainer'.
>
> > And if he's busy?  Sorry, but your arguments are circular and
> > bogus.
>
> Really? Backups are bogus cause the backup tapes can be corrupt too?

No, that's an inappropriate analogy.

> Do you really work in the information systems field?

Ad hominem's from the man who scorns them so much.  Interesting.

> > If there is a single person responsible for coordinating
> > changes he becomes the critical link in the chain, if he
> > becomes busy, nothing happens.  If you define a backup, it only
> > takes the primary and the backup to become busy before again
> > output stops.  What next?  Make a Backup-Backup-Maintainer:?
>
> > With multiple maintainers there is no critical link in the
> > chain, anyone person can step forward to take up the slack.
> > Output stops only when all maintainers are busy, this is no
> > loss over single maintainership or single person responsible
> > for coordinating changes.
>
> You are overlooking basic human psychology: when a crowd is
> responsible for something, nobody is responsible for it.

Not in my experience.  I've seen shared responsibility and I've seen
it work, with pgp-update, new-maintainer and boot-floppies.  And
that's just what I've been personally involved in (albeit to a very
marginal degree in some of them).

--
James