Re: Locales and Programs parsing other's output

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> On 11 Apr 1998, James Troup wrote:
>
> > Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> >
> > > I don't think this is a topic which belongs to the policy
> > > manual. (For example, the policy manual doesn't include a statement
> > > like `dereferencing NULL pointers is evil' either.)
> >
> > Policy includes plenty of examples of policies which potentially
> > require changes to programs and are similar to this proposal, e.g
> > 2.4.5, 3.3.6, 3.9, 4.5.  How is this any different?  (Esp. comapre
> > with 2.4.5)
>
> There are some maintainers (including you) who always shout `this
> should be documented in policy'.

That's not true and I object to you making such claims.

> If we would document everything in policy, I would be too busy with
> getting low-priority topics approved and included in the manual and
> wouldn't have time anymore for the real important things (like the
> FHS migration).

How busy you are and whether or not this is a suitable topic for
policy are orthogonal issues.  Perhaps debian-policy needs multiple
maintainers?

> It would be intresting to do a quiz and ask a few arbitrarily
> selected maintainers about some policy details. I'm sure most
> maintainers don't know the details of Debian Policy,

I think so too and I think this is a big problem.

> since the manuals are already very large.

I suspect is has more to do with people's unwillingness to RTFM.  At
least that's what I've seen on IRC and debian-mentors.

> James, it looks like you just object to everything I say.

You're wrong, and I'm sorry you can't see it any other way than that
(just look at a mailing list archive, your claim is verifiably
untrue).  I object when I think you're wrong, nothing more, nothing
less.

> If not, then please let us not put too much times in these `silly'
> discussions.

You ask for opinions, then when I give mine, you flame me.  Thanks,
Christian.

--
James