Re: Could lintian...?

On 9 Apr 1998, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Marcelo_E=2E_Magall=F3n?)  wrote on 08.04.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980408181523.27288A-100000@jacinta>:
>
> > Could lintian check for files installed outside standard directories
> > (those the FHS specifies). I accidentally made a .deb file that installed
> > files in /home/mmagallo/blah/blas/debian/tmp/usr/X11R6/bin/. I realized
> > this after running lintian on the package and then installing it.
>
> Oh yes, and also check for all the packages installing stuff into
> /var/packagename, for example. Except for specific case, that's not
> allowed!

We are already working on such a check. We'll start coding FSSTND checks
now, and transform this into a FHS check as soon as we've decided to
switch policy.

> Oh, and one other thing. I just noticed a bug in one of my packages
> resulting in a file (or was it a directory?) containing a shell wildcard.
> At the very least, any strange character in filenames should get a
> warning. Very few of those are actually intentional.
>
> I'd say anything outside [-a-zA-Z0-9._+:] is suspect. grep tells me that
> less than 0.1% of the filenames in my /var/lib/dpkg/*.list use any other
> characters.

That's another good idea for the check! I'll implement this and we'll see,
how many exceptions we have... :-)

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/