Re: conffiles versus configuration files

Hi,
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

Ian> I'm dismayed that this discussion is still going and that I'm
Ian> having to post.  Here is my view (Dale is right, btw.):

	Dismay seems the appropriate reaction, since obviously the
 policy is so ambiguous that even the policy manger had trouble on
 this point.

	I fail to see why you think that this discussion should have
 ended, since you have yourself in the past added to the confusion, in
 the form of the packaging manual.  In technical matters, personal
 opinions count less than wordings of the standards being folowed.
 Feel free to change your opinion, but do not express dismay when
 people have been folowing what the standards say.

	Also, the current policy document confuses configuration file
 and conffile in some places (adding to the confusion). Fr example,
 look at 3.5:
 "...If a certain job has to be executed more frequently than `daily,'
 the package should install a file `/etc/cron.d/<package-name>' tagged
 as configuration file."

	``Tagged'' as "configuration file"?

	Again:
 "...   modified by the local system administrator.In
 addition, they have to be registered as configuration file."

	How does one ``register'' a configuration file? Does it not
 imply "configuration file" == conffile?

	Even the packaging manual says (2.2):
   conffiles
          This file contains a list of configuration files which are to
          be handled automatically by dpkg (see Configuration file
          handling, chapter 9). Note that not necessarily every
          configuration file should be listed here.

	Does this not give the impression that the set of
 configuration files is a super set of the set of conffiles?
 Since this is a part of dgpk, one assumed it was coming from the
 horses mouth.

	Again:
9.1 Automatic handling of configuration files by dpkg

   A package may contain a control area file called conffiles. This file
   should be a list of filenames of configuration files needing automatic
   handling, separated by newlines.

	If conffiles need not be configuration files, why does the
 packaging manual keep affirming that they are?

	Again:
  4.2.23 Conffiles

   This field in dpkg's status file contains information about the
   automatically-managed configuration files held by a package. This
   field should not appear anywhere in a package!

	I submit, that Ian's opinions notwithstanding, the standards
 followed by Debian do indeed indicate that conffiles are
 configuration files. Show me one place in any Debian standard where
 it says a conffile need not be a configuration file.

	I understand that dpkg does not care what a conffile is, but
 then, dpkg does not enforce policy either, and policy has some
 restrictions on configuration files.

	If you want to change it, discuss it here on the policy list,
 and have the policy and packaging manuals amended.

	I am sure there are other places that such confusion reigns.

	manoj
--
 "jackpot: you may have an unnecessary change record" message from
 "diff"