Re: RFC: Addition of "Builder: " field to non-maintainer compiled binaries

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 07:21:54PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > Juan> Would it be ok to use a command line switch to
> > Juan> dpkg-buildpackage, and make it set an environment variable, not
> > Juan> intended to be used standalone, to be used by dpkg-gencontrol?
> >
> > 	Why not also add a command line swith to dpkg-gencontrol? I
> >  think that the relevant concern is solely. If there were a command
> >  line switch as well, even though less convenient than a env var, it
> >  would be better. (Please note I am not advocating removal of the env
> >  var facility).
>
> Why mess with dpkg-gencontrol? The Builder: field is only needed to be in
> the .changes file, right?

	No.  James Troup suggested to also add the Builder: field to
the control file, inside the .deb.  And the control file is generated
with dpkg-gencontrol.

	Manoj:  a command line switch to dpkg-gencontrol won't work
without modifying every debian/rules file; dpkg-gencontrol is called
from there without any special arguments.  So I thought we could pass
that info using the environment.

	BTW: A command-line switch is already in dpkg-gencontrol to do
that trick:  "-DBuilder='Juan Cespedes <cespedes@debian.org>'" should
work.

--
Juan Cespedes