Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

 Brian> At 04:17 pm -0500 on November 29, 2000, Brian Mays wrote:
 >> The GPL says that we can distribute the binaries ...
 >>
 >> :  ... provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each
 >> :  copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep
 >> :  intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence
 >> :  of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy
 Brian>                           ^^^^
 >> :  of this License along with the Program.
 Brian>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 >> If here "you" refers to Debian, then we are not violating the GPL.  We
 >> distribute all of the packages, including "base", which contains the a
 >> copy of the GPL. We distribute the program AND we give our recipients
 >> a copy of the license.

 Brian> Making the GPL available in a separate file that may or may not be
 Brian> received by the recipient of the GPLed Program does not constitute
 Brian> "giving" the GPL to the recipients of such a program "along with the
 Brian> Program".

	How can ypu possibly assure that without including the licence
 as part of the binary?

 Brian> Is Debian giving the License along with the Program to someone
 Brian> who runs wget http://http.us.debian.org/path/to/GPLed/deb on a
 Brian> RedHat system?  I don't think so.

	How can you say you are distributing the GPL is I do a whete
 /bin/ls from a GNU system?

	We distribute the GPL with the source. We distribute it with
 the full Debian system. It is a required part of any Debina
 install. It is part of the source package available from every debian
 archive site.

	No oe really covers partial downloads. I just downloaded an
 xdelta of an emacs pretest. Horrors!! it does not contail the GPL. Is
 the FSF in violation of its own policy?

	manoj
--
 If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a
 deal faster. The Duchess, "Through the Looking Glass"