Re: new fields in debian/control

On Jul 16, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I'm adding three new fields to debian/control:
>
> * Origin
>   This lists the origin of a package. For all Debian packages this should
>   be `Debian'.
> * Submit-Bugs-To
>   An mailto URL to which bugs should be submitted. (It's a URL so
>   we can support other types of BTSes at a later date if needed)
> * Submit-Bugs-Style
>   Style in which submitted bugreports should be formatted. Currently
>   the only option here is `debbugs'.

As the reportbug maintainer, let me make a few suggestions:

- A debbugs BTS has more than one submission address (maintonly,
submit, quiet).  Perhaps the URL should be a pseudo-URL, like
mailto:%s@bugs.debian.org.

- Debbugs BTSes should also specify a URL root for looking up bugs.
For example, Debian's is at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/, with various
appendages for bug numbers and packages.  (Incidentally, using this
interface is not the same as http://bugs.debian.org/{package|number})

- For "well known" origins, the bug submission fields should be
omitted.  "Origin: Debian" implies the Debian Project's BTS.

- A "plain" submit style might be a good thing to specify: this means
the URL for submission is immutable.  For example,
My-Handrolled-Package could specify a style of "plain" and a url of
"mailto:my-handrolled-package-bugs@my.domain.com";; this means, "send
all bug reports to this URL", and would tell a smart UI to ignore
flags like --maintonly, etc.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |     Get rid of Roger Wicker this year!    |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |      http://www.lordsutch.com/ms-one/     |
|       Debian Developer        |    Join the party that opposed the CDA    |
|    http://www.debian.org/     |             http://www.lp.org/            |