Re: problem with emacs configuration scripts

Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Specifically, because the files are conffiles, they are not removed
> when the package is removed, and so the files stay around to continue
> to affect the behavior of emacs.  This happened to me with the user-de
> and user-es packages, which I installed long ago, and long ago
> removed.  But the scripts they install have a bug on current emacs20,
> and because the scripts are conffiles, they didn't get deleted.

Look at how this is handled by packages that contain menu-methods files
for the menu package. They have the same basic problem: script conffiles that
are left around when the package is removed, and will not work. The
solution is this in the postrm:

if [ "$1" = "remove" -a -f "$inst" ]; then
	chmod a-x /etc/menu-methods/package
fi

(And equivilant code in the postinst.)

Menu recognizes that it should ignore non-executable files in that
directrory. I think that the emacsen packages should use a similar
method to allow the scripts to be disabled. Execute permissions might be
the wrong fix, but something along the same lines should work.

> I think we should specify that programs should not install conffiles
> which change the behavior of different packages

That is an incredibly vague statement, and there are probably 100
different things in debian that violate it in perfectly sensible
behavior. (See above menu-methods example for one.)

--
see shy jo