Re: Hot Sync Button and Malsync

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 03:34:36PM +0000,
ibraheem@muddywaters.eidosnet.co.uk wrote:

[...]
> I guess what it boils down to is security. I was under the impression that
> the sync button is there mainly to "initiate" or "acknowledge" a
> synchronisation request. An initiation being the equivalent of a "beem
> request", and the acknowledgement being the analogous to a "beam accept".

It also serves to wake up your pilot if it is off. I don't know about
the V series, but my IIIx has a maximum of 3 minutes before automatic
shutoff.

[...]

>>>	The key to getting your pilot to respond with it's hotsync are
>>>the pins. I noticed that if two particular pins were connected (this
>>>can be done with a paper clip on the bottom of your pilot ps. careful
>>>if you have a palm V you might short your battery). I cannot tell you
>>>which two pins it is because i don't remember and it might not be the
>>>same depending on the model you have.
>
> Now this is a hack that I did think of, but wasn't sure about how to
> go about it. In fact, I was hoping there would be an easier wayi, and
> would therefore not have to tax my brain too hard - or lose my Palm Vx
> in the process.!!.

One approach to this would be to use one of the unused RS-232 control
lines to switch on a transistor or opto-isolator wired across the
hotsync push-button. Then you would have to hack the pilot-link library
to raise this line when a hotsync is desired. I don't imagine that
would require very much programming.

Looking at http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jdwhite/palm/PCPD-serial.html
if you are Real Brave you might be able to get away with connecting DTR
on the PC directly to GP1 terminal on the pilot. I would at least use a
diode and the largest possible resistor in series to be on the safe side.

This is irrelevent to your Vx, but anybody following this who has a
non-rechargeable pilot should be aware that leaving it in the cradle
for a long period of time can significantly reduce the AAA cells' lives
as the pilot sends a fair amount of current into one of the RS-232
handshake lines whenever it is in the cradle.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA