Re: Suggestions on how to "upstream" mailcap?

On Saturday, 16 March 2024 15:59:43 CET Charles Plessy wrote:
> Mailcap is mostly single Perl script, plus some documentation and
> Debian-specific triggers which are not essential out of the context of a
> packaging system.  I have been wondering if it would make sense to
> distribute it as App::Mailcap on CPAN.  And I would be happy to have
> your feedback, about this idea.

If you think mailcap can be useful outside of Debian, why not. But you'll
probably have to modernize this program, add "use strict", "use warning", add
a Builder, write man page in pod format. Otherwise, mailcap will be less
attractive.

On the other hand , mailcap man page mentions that it should be used with
metamail. This program is not found on Debian. I fear that most people are
using IMAP to read mail and I wonder if mailcap can fit there...

HTH