libinline-java-perl: a Jessie-targeted branch

Hi,

I've decided to resurface after lurking for more years than I'm
comfortable with admitting, so... yeah, hi, my name is Peter and I have
a... okay, well, not so much of a problem as a desire to help with
the packaging of Perl-related stuff for Debian :P

So I just committed a couple of fixes to the libinline-java-perl
package, finishing with a fix for a FTBFS with a JDK other than Debian's
default-jdk (#770762), but also throwing in two fixes for bugs that I
myself filed along the way.  The thing is, the libinline-java-perl
package already had a couple of commits in its master branch after the
last tagged release (the one that is in testing), among them an update
to a new upstream release, so it seemed a good idea to me to push my
fixes in a separate, Jessie-targeted branch (named, well, "jessie")
based on what is currently in testing, to kind of reduce the release
managers' excitement when they see an upload coming in.

Now here's a couple of questions:

1. Is there anything more that I should have done to make PET aware of
   my changes in a separate branch (like maybe picked a different name
   for the branch), or does it really only watch the master branch?

2. Is there any chance of the release managers *not* accepting one of
   the changes, the debian/clean addition to fix a FTBFS twice in a row?
   (or should I just go to them with that question and a full debdiff
   to get pre-approval?)

3. Was there really even a need for a separate branch?  My gut feeling
   says yes, a separate branch is needed, Jessie doesn't want a new
   upstream release, Jessie only wants the RC bugfixes, we can merge
   them into the master branch later... but ICBW, but ISTR some kind of
   weird situation with the Debian Perl group in previous release
   freezes when the release managers were somehow more, hm, lenient or
   something like that and would from time to time allow a new upstream
   version and unrelated fixes to a leaf Debian Perl package to migrate
   to the testing branch.  I'm not saying we're special, just, hm, yeah,
   I guess I am saying that ICBW, but ISTR that we were special before :P
   Still, IMHO the right thing is to do it in a separate branch.

So yeah, here it is, feel free to flame me for coming back charging in
with controversial bugfixes and no small amount of ignorance as to how
the Debian Perl group handles release freeze branches :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org p.penchev@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13