Re: Multiarching perl

+++ Niko Tyni [2012-09-21 22:13 +0300]:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:12:05PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
>
> > Does this mean you have some kind of patch for this stuff? Even if
> > it's pretty raw, it should save me/riku some time on knocking up a
> > multiarch package to test with. And it would help me grok some of
> > what's been discussed.
>
> Yeah. Sorry for the delay, I have serious trouble finding the time for
> this stuff.
>
> I managed something of a sprint on it a month or so ago, then got stuck
> thinking about the wider implications on the perl part of the archive.
>
> I've pushed the current state on the 'ntyni/multiarch-5.14' branch of
>  git://git.debian.org/perl/perl.git
>
> This is work in progress, no guarantees about not rewriting history yet.

OK, I built armhf and amd64 versions of this and tried to use them and
ran into a little annoyance.:

The perl package contains /usr/share/man/man1/prename.1.gz which has
the build date in it on line 127. If you happen to build two different
arches on different days then these files cease to be identical so
dpkg refuses to install perl:amd64 and perl:armhf side-by side.

Should that file even be in the 'perl' package, or should it be with
(almost) all the other manpages in perl-doc? Seems like it is there
because 'rename' is replaced with 'prename' via alternatives, and I
guess that needs tohe man-page present.

If it should, then the date should be removed, or changed to the
date written, not the date built, or if the build-date is important in
the manpage (can't see why) then I'm not sure what to do. It looks
like the issue is in the 'standard preamble' generated by Pod::Man.

I've hacked the file for now in order to test, but suggestions welcome
for how best to fix this.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/