Building perl and XS modules with hardening flags

Hi,

I was wondering if it would make sense to build perl with hardening
flags.  This would it make harder to use bugs in the interpreter or the
XS modules to compromise a system.  It looks like Ubuntu already does
this by default for all packages[1], so breakage should be limited.

On Debian[2], hardening-includes provides a makefile snippet to set
architecture-validated hardening flags.

If deemed useful, we could try enabling them in perl 5.14 as I assume
this will get some more testing in experimental.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Features>
[2] <http://wiki.debian.org/Hardening>