Re: Removing packages from SVN

-=| Ansgar Burchardt, Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:31:26AM +0900 |=-
> when packages are removed from our SVN repository, we currently
> remove it not only from trunk/, but also from branches/upstream/ and
> tags/.
> I do think this is not a good idea for packages we did upload:
> we might need to prepare an upload to stable at a later point, but
> it is no longer tagged in the SVN. Also I don't like removing
> history.
>
> For this reason I propose to only remove packages from trunk/ in
> general.  For packages that we did never upload (ie. packages that
> were never finished), I see no problem in removing it completely.

I am for moving branches and tags (in addition to trunk) to attic/. We
don't hide history, we just put it aside not to interfere with the
present.

Admittedly, this adds a bit of complexity and non-trivialness when
preparing a stable upload, but the alternative is to have stale tags
and branches in the "main" part of the repository practicaly forever.