Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

Hello

The other day, I was upgrading cups and dpkg did ask me the usual way
if I wanted to keep my cups config file or take the upstream version.

Like always, I asked for a diff and was quite puzzled because I did
not remember anything about editing this file. Then I remembered that
I did a modification through cups admin web interface.

Previous common story you might say. But for a casual user (like my
mother-in-law which now use Debian Lenny ;-) ), this can be
frustrating:
- I did modify the config through a nice web interface
- during the upgrade, I either have to look at all the gory details of
  the config file or I have to loose my configuration.

So I was thinking that this is a typical case where the upgrade could
be smoothly handled by Config::Model.

Either in automatic mode where user data and upstream modifications
are merged (*) or in manual mode where the graphical (or curses)
interface is fired up so the user can check what's going on.

Of course, I (ou we) would need to integrate Config::Model in debconf
for this to work.

What do you think about this ?

All the best

(*) If you want I can go more in details on how an upgrade can be done

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org