Re: perl 5.10 transition, NMUs and release goals

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>> Wouldn't the release team be pissed if the perl5.10 transition is done
>> without them be aware if it?

*cough* I was well aware of the transition and have kept it in mind for
most of the recent planning. It needs a bit of coordination with other
transitions, as both the python and the OCaml 3.10.2 transition will
also need some binNMUs, putting additional load on the buildds. I tried
pinging Brendan in IRC a few times in the past two weeks to talk about
the issue, but never was around at the right time to actually speak with
him. I guess doing it by mail is more sane, anyway :)

> IMO the NMU campaign is fully justified. An NMU campaign preparing the
> python transition has been done, I see no reason to not do the same for
> perl.

Yes.

> Can someone of the release team acknowledge this? The transition to
> perl5.10 is in preparation since quite some time and the package has
> been maturing in experimental. IMO the "release goal" status can be
> granted to allow for easy NMU of the 109 package that remain to be
> updated.

Well, the release goal list is frozen by now and I wouldn't like to make
exceptions. On the other hand, I believe that having Perl 5.10 in lenny
is *critical* [1]. Uploading the new version unstable will automatically
make all of the transition bugs rc anyway, so please go ahead, happy
NMUing.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  Oh, how much I want all the niceties copied from Perl6...
--
BOFH #359:
YOU HAVE AN I/O ERROR -> Incompetent Operator error