Re: RFH: Perl

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:51:04PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> Anyone interested in helping out with the packaging of Perl, please
> step forward.
>
> I've been unable to provide the package with the attention which it
> deserves for some time now--I had hoped that this situation would
> change, but it has not.
>
> Niko Tyni has provided a huge amount of assistance this year, but is
> similarly crunched for time.
>
> If you are interested in contributing, please ping this thread.

This got on hold waiting for the lenny release and some time from Brendan,
but we think it's about time to actually go forward with it.  Sorry for
the delay.

The people who stepped up in September [Bcc'd]:

 Guy Hulbert
 Jeremiah C. Foster
 Lesley Binks
 Antony Gelberg
 Chris Butler

Obviously, others willing to help are still welcome too.

The git repository is at git.debian.org, as noted by the package's Vcs-*
control fields. I just created a 'lenny' branch there, so 'master'
is now open for post-Lenny changes. Of course, sid uploads are a no-no
until the release, but we could use experimental if desired.

Jeremiah, Antony and Chris: I've added you to the Alioth 'perl' project,
so you should have commit access soon. Others: please let me know your
Alioth username [1] and I'll add you too.

I think we need a place for discussion, so I've set up
perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.d.o, subscribed it to the perl package,
and directed followups there.  Please consider subscribing.

If you think that's overkill and just a spam trap [2], I'm certainly open
to other ideas (just use the the debian-perl list or perl@packages.d.o?
The latter doesn't get archived, FWIW)

Things to do off the top of my mind:

- come up with a team policy of coordinating uploads and anything
  else we need to agree on

- handle debian/patches with TopGit branches or something like that
  * we'd like to keep the current way the patches are
    applied on unpack without any 'debian/rules patch' incantation,
    even though it means shipping the patches twice in the .diff.gz
  * dpkg v3 (quilt) source format should help here once the archive
    accepts it

- making patchlevel.h somehow meaningful
  * autogenerate from TopGit and/or debian/patches?

- bug triage and (particularly) forwarding

- cleaning the lintian report :)

[1] See http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth for starters if you're unfamiliar
    with Alioth.

[2] I got the first spam on the new list in an hour or so
    since it was created...

Thanks for your interest,
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org