[announce] pkg-perl svn repository reorg at July 30th, 2:00-3:00 UTC

As mentioned on this list, I plan to reorganise the svn repository.
I've picked a time to do this, barring any last-minute problems being
discovered with the new layout. I plan to start the reorganisation at
2:00 UTC (July 30th) -- a little over 7 hours from now -- and finish
about an hour later.

I won't be taking the repository offline for this, but commits during
that time period will make the transition more difficult for me, so
please try to avoid any.

If you have uncommitted changes in packages/, the easiest thing to do is
commit them before that point. But don't worry: If you don't commit your
changes, svn will preserve your uncommitted files when you svn up after
the transition, and you can move them to the new locations and commit at
your leisure.

What you should expect to see on svn up after the transition:

* If you have a checkout of an individual package, such as
  pkg-perl/packages/libalias-perl, you will need to update to the new
  location using svn switch. This command will do the trick:
  svn switch $(svnpath | sed s/packages/trunk/)
* If you have a checkout of _all_ of pkg-perl, you will download some 3
  gigabtes of stuff _again_ as everything will have moved. You probably
  want to avoid this; the easiest way to avoid it is to check out only
  pkg-perl/trunk, which is only 300 mb.
* If you have a checkout of pkg-perl/packages, all unmodified files in
  it will be removed. You will also want to switch to a checkout of
  pkg-perl/trunk.
* If you have a checkout of the tools directory, you will need to use
  svn switch:
  svn switch $(svnpath | sed 's!tools!trunk/tooks!')

Working with the new repository:

If you use svn-inject, you will need to patch it with the patch from
#433536, until that bug is fixed. Also, svn-inject should be run with
the -l 2 switch to use the new repo layout.

If you use svn-upgrade, you will need the patch from #434932.

If you use svn-buildpackage, it should work, but avoid using the
--svn-tag switch, as it does not work with the new layout (#433532).
Instead, you can use debcommit --release to do the tagging.

--
see shy jo