Re: Mailbox locking

Brendan O'Dea wrote:

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 04:51:13PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> writes:

A better option if you need to use fcntl locking is to write an XS
module.
I'm amazed that something like this doesn't already exist, [...]

So was I, although to be frank I can't think of a case where I've ever
needed partial locking, so flock is more than sufficient.  Presumably
the same is the case for others.

Unless you're interacting with something else that uses fcntl, and you're on a system where flock doesn't use the same locking infrastructure that fcntl does, you're unlikely to need it.

That means that anything perlish on Debian that's interacting with mail needs it, IIRC. But most people just hack something up using pack (and accept or are ignorant of the fact that it won't be portable).

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips / +64 3 479 4195 / nick.phillips@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
# these statements are my own, not those of the University of Otago