Re: discussion on perl module packaging

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 01:22:21PM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>    Sean> Lintian is currently run over the entire debian archive on
>    Sean> master.  I can not assume a package or its depends are
>    Sean> installed.
>
>But under such conditions you do have Contents-$(arch).gz.  I think
>you're going to need to independent mechanisms: one for the individual
>developer, the other for archive validation.

You could of course do this as a series of fall-backs, meaning that you
don't necessarily need two mechanisms.

  1.  Check the current package
  2.  Check /var/lib/info/*.list
  3.  Check [if there is one] /some/path/to/Contents-$(arch).gz
  4.  Intuit the package name (Foo::Bar => libfoo-bar-perl) [probably
      with a suitable warning]

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633